Saturday, February 14, 2009

“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” -Lao Tzu

As many of you know, I am packing up and leaving this beautiful island behind for a new adventure in America's most populated city, the Big Apple! This is going to be a HUGE change especially considering Hilton Head (with a whopping population of 40,000) is the most populated town I have ever lived in, others being Boone (~36,000) and Pittsboro (120, hah). I am so excited about experiencing life not just a city, but the city I have wanted to live in for as long as I can remember. This has always been one of my goals of life and I couldn't be more happy!

The first question I always get is, "What are you going to do up there?", I reply with, "I have no idea." This is the truth, I have a roommate, Sean, and a place to live... but that is about it. I've been applying for jobs but haven't heard back from anyone. It is a little discouraging, but I feel optimistic about finding something once I am up there and have plenty of time to dedicate to finding a job. Worst case scenario, I will end up waiting tables for a little bit to earn some cash.

What do I want to do with my life in the city? I really have no idea. There are so many career paths I could see myself following, but with the economy being as shitty as it is, I won't be able to be picky at all. As of right now, I am mainly looking for jobs in the tourism/recreation industry (preferably not dealing with tourist though), retail (although I REALLY REALLY want a 8-5, Mon - Fri job), working with nonprofit organizations (geared towards something I have an interest in) and basically any basic entry level marketing position I can come across. I am also open to nearly any possibility. The main reason I want to live in the city is the culture. I love the idea of the hustle and bustle of everyday life of New Yorkers. I guess this is from living in the most laid back places imaginable. I also want to experience living in a place with diversity in its people, music, art, food, etc. I want to meet people. All kinds of people. People who moved to the city to chase their dreams, find themselves, or who have lived there their entire lives. I am also fascinated by the idea of relying mainly on public transportation. The one time in my life I had to rely on public transportation was second semester my freshman year at Appalachian when I had to take the AppalCart from campus to the most remote student parking area imaginable. It was hell. Anyone who ever had to rely on Boone's public transportation system can vouch for that though. I have used the NYC Subway and Bus system in the past and it is so convenient and easy to navigate, although I may be singing a different tune when I am commuting into the city from Queens rather than vacationing. Either way, it is so much better on the environment.

My fears about this move are getting mugged, losing everything, and not making friends. I am fortunate in that I have a couple of friends up there who have been living in New York for a few years. They're awesome and I can't wait to see them!

The details! I am leaving Hilton Head the first week in March and going to my parents house in Pittsboro for a few days, basically to drop off the majority of my stuff. Friday, March 6, I will be boarding a train in Greensboro, NC bound for New York City. I haven't ridden a train in the US EVER and I am kind of scared/excited about it. It makes me think of the olden days when the locomotive was the primary mode of transportation for long journeys. I like the romanticism associated with trains and embarking on a new adventure. Plus it is cheap and I can bring a lot of shit! (up to 6 checked bags and 2 carry-on's!)

I am going to miss Hilton Head and the people I have met here a lot! I've met so many people who have inspired me to be more active, more outgoing, and a better person overall. I will also miss the crazy nights at Salty Dog slinging shirts to out of control tourists followed by wild nights out at the bars, especially Riders, where you never knew who you would run into or where the night would lead. Then there are the warm, sunny days off! Relaxing on the beach with a book and my iPod or meeting up with friends and getting hammered at the Tiki Hut while watching people play volleyball and strolling down the beach.

Ahh well... there will be many good times to be had in NYC as well. For now I am off to Adam's Valentines Day Party and shennanigans...

No comments: