Sunday, February 22, 2009

"Wherever you are it is your friends who make your world..." -William James

Today Jen and I went to Savannah!

We started out at Oglethorpe Mall and then headed downtown. I bored her with useless knowledge about not-so-famous landmarks in Savannah that I picked up on numerous trips on the Old Town Trolley Tour (which I HIGHLY recommend) and we got frozen daiquiris at Wet Willies!

The highlights of this outing were:

1) We were at the mall and saw that there was an arcade so we walked in for a game of ski ball (during which, I only had like 4 balls to roll down the track). As soon as we walked in we were automatically blinded and deafened by the bright, flashing lights and bells, whistles, and various sound effects from the various games. I looked over to the counter, expecting to be greeted by the attendant, but she was somehow asleep! I can't see how ANYONE could EVER fall asleep in an arcade with all of the constant commotion. We continued to the back of the room and dropped our quarters into the slot which started a new series of sound effects. Thinking the change may alert the attendant, I took a glance back at the counter and sure enough she was still snoozing away.

2) Jen and I were strolling down Bull Street approaching Chippewa Square (where the bench in the movie, Forest Gump, was placed (but now removed due to vandalism and placed in the Savannah History Museum.. what did I tell you about my useless Trolley-provided knowledge). As we approached, we saw a man in khaki pants, plaid shirt, and red ball cap running through the square, across the street and down Bull Street. I though, "Man, that guy looks so familiar" and no sooner realized it was a Forest Gump impersonator. It was hilarious! Jen tried to capture a picture, but was unable to thanks to a rapidly approaching Oglethorpe Tours Trolley. We saw him again later outside the Sorrell-Weed House (which has an awful tour and the chandelers came from Home Depot), also on Bull Street but missed the photo opportunity once again. I've taken quite a few day trips down to Savannah and never, in the past year, have I seen this man who dresses as Forest Gump and runs around the city.

3) Later in the day we cruised down to River Street to check out the shops and grab a mixed daiquiri beverage at Wet Willies. As we sat out by the river sipping on our drinks a bluegrass group had assembled to perform for passing tourist. About the same time, a man with his huge dog sat down after what appeared to be a walk around town. People flocked to see the dog while maybe only one or two spectators gathered for the musicians. Oh well.

We also tested the Witch's circle again (read up, its cool!) which I can't figure out to save my life, not that I've spent much time trying to determine the mysterious echo.

OH! and a #4! We were walking through the outdoor market and there was a vendor who, for a fee, lets you have your picture made with his three Macaw parrots. Cool, in theory. I saw the pictures and he was letting strangers hold these birds! He had pictures with them holding the birds on their hands, shoulders, and heads! I freaked out! I cannot even imagine letting a customer come close to Captain, Cherokee, or Kiwi.. much less hold them! That is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I told the owner that I could never, EVER imagine putting our birds on a customers shoulder and he claimed that he had rescued his Blue and Gold Macaw four months ago from someone who had kept it in a cage for two years. He said it was aggressive at first but will not even bite him now. He even stuck his fingers in the bird's beak to prove it. What the hell is up with our birds at Salty Dog?!

Jen got me a going away present from the Smoothie place that we ducked into so I could use the restroom. It is a magnet that says, "Wherever you are it is your friends who make your world...". I like it! It is so true! My friends have had such an impact on my life, no matter if I was in Pittsboro, Boone, or here in Hilton Head. This will continue to be true in New York City!

I am going to miss my day trips to Savannah! I love that town, although I could never live there unless I lived and worked in the downtown historic district. The rest of it is kinda ghetto. The city has such an interesting history and the architecture is outstanding. I always enjoy a walk through downtown, especially down Bull Street to Forsyth Park, passing the Mercer-Williams House (made even more famous by Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil or "The Book" as Savanniahians refer to it as). The architecture and colors are astounding and the tour is definitely worth the dough. Walking by makes me think of visiting an old friend.

Anyway, we stopped at Piggly Wiggly in Bluffton to gather necessary ingredients for dinner then came back to my apartment and made my somewhat famous chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese and spinach and attempted to make mashed potatoes that left much to be desired. Afterwards we relaxed for a bit, Jen took a nap and I searched for jobs in the city, and then went to Remy's to meet up with some Salty Dog people for a couple beers.

Less than two weeks until I live in NYC! Right now I feel more excited than scared. I've got to get some rest to prepare for whatever we find to get into tomorrow!

No comments: