Friday, April 10, 2009

0 For 2

I decided to go into Manhattan today for another dose of what I like to call "NYC Therapy". For many shows on Broadway, they release a certain amount of tickets a couple hours before the show that are offered at a GREATLY discounted price. After doing some research I discovered that I could be on the front row for West Side Story for only $26.50 if I won. I got there a half hour before the lottery was to start, stood in line, filled out my entry, and waited an additional half hour for them to draw the names. With it being Easter weekend and with so many kids on Spring Break, there was a HUGE turnout and sadly I didn't get picked. It was kind of fun though, I will try again some other time. While I was in the theater district I wanted to go by and see the Nederlander Theater, where Rent was performed during its time on Broadway. I was hoping the famous wall was still intact but unfortunately Guys and Dolls has taken over and they have painted over everything.

Next I decided to venture downtown to Ground Zero and then Battery Park. Although the area was flocking with tourists, there is really not much to see. There is fencing around the perimeter of the area (as is the case with any construction area) and there are tarps keeping people from seeing in. For the best view, go to the bridge separating the two World Financial Buildings on the West side of the block.

There is a firehouse directly across the street from the WTC site and on the corner are several memorials to those who lost their lives in the 9-11 attacks. You get a strange feeling being down there, knowing so many people lost their lives on that very block less than 8 years ago. The feeling I had reminded me of being on the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. On the memorial, you are above the sunken ship where bodies of those trapped inside still remain. Looking around Ground Zero you see tourist and business people walking around. I overheard two parents explaining the significance of the memorials to their young children. They explained that the names and pictures were of peoples' mommies and daddies who were killed. It was kind of neat, I hope those kids remember being there and visiting that spot because they had to have been very, very young when it happened. I thought the parents did a great job explaining the significance so that they could understand the importance. As I mentioned, there were also a lot of businesspeople. For the younger ones I saw, they were probably in college. I bet they had no idea, while watching the events unfold in 2001, that they would be passing that same area every day on the way to and from work. For the older ones I passed, I wondered what their experience was, how they feel walking by the site now, etc. I can't even imagine.

From there I followed the Hudson River on a walkway all the way down to Battery Park. I saw New Jersey, Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, and Staten Island. One day I will take the ferry across to Staten Island, why not? Just over half way to Battery Park I took a seat on the bench and stared across New York Harbor at the Statue of Liberty. Normally these moments make me really love New York and make me wonder how I could ever leave. Today... nothing. I appreciate the city, I love the city... but there is something missing to make me want to stay. It is more than a job, friends, my stuff, etc... it is something I can't put my finger on. I feel like I need to be by the water (clean water... the East River, Hudson, etc. don't count). Sitting by the river, listening to the water crash into the seawall and the seagulls squawking overhead, I realized I need that. Atleast for now.

No comments: