Monday, April 13, 2009

My Decision Has Been Made

I don't know if it is for better or worse, but a trait that has taken a while to blossom is now in full bloom. When feasible, I am doing what I want to do to make me happy. Even if it is a little impulsive. That is how I ended up in New York City and as of this afternoon, that is what has made me decide to move back to Hilton Head Island. I will be flying Delta from La Guardia Airport to Raleigh-Durham International on May 4 at 4:35 pm.

From there I will be spending some time with my friends and family in North Carolina, a luxury I have not been able to have since graduating high school really. With the money I have saved that I would otherwise be spending here in New York, I am going to enjoy some real time off, without worrying about having to be anywhere or having to do anything. It may seem like that is all I have done since I left Salty Dog, but that is not the case. There was the move, there was the job hunt, now I have an upcoming trip to DC, my Mom may be coming to NYC, and Adam will be here next week. The week after that I will be focused on getting all of my stuff shipped home and making final arrangements and spending time with my friends here in New York. I plan on being in North Carolina for 9 days where I will be able to celebrate a good friend's milestone birthday, spend time with family, and pay a visit to Jen and the college town I love dearly.

After that, I will have several days to decide what I am taking with me back down to Hilton Head this time. I will have to budget carefully to make sure I will be able to pay first month's rent and put down whatever deposits are necessary once I find a place to live. I am seeking either an apartment in Broad Creek Landing, where I lived before, or a decent one-bedroom apartment on the South end of the island. I want something unfurnished so that I can take all of my belongings out of storage and really make my place feel like home. Do I plan on staying in Hilton Head forever? No. It is too small of a town for me, that is one thing that is for certain.

What am I going to do for the remainder of the time I am here? Anything and everything (that is cheap/free). I love taking pictures of the city and everything in it. I haven't done much of that because I have been trying to blend in as a local and really feel like a New Yorker. Well, New York, get ready to say, "Cheese!" I want to take the Staten Island Ferry across the harbor, explore lower Manhattan where I have been afraid to venture because of how confusing the streets are. I want to eat Chinese food in Chinatown, go to the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, win Broadway tickets through the lottery and see a show, eat a slice of NY Cheesecake, explore art galleries, check out Brooklyn in the daytime, walk across the entire Brooklyn Bridge, visit famous movie/TV locations, go to Times Square at night. The list goes on and on.

I think the next three weeks will fly by! I am going to our nation's capital Thursday night and coming back Friday. I talked to my Mom and she may be coming up with their neighbor either this weekend or early next week because their neighbor's son got a job offer with Bank of America in NYC and he has never been here. So I will get to show them around which will be a lot of fun. Then Adam flies in on Wednesday and will be in New York until Sunday so that will allow more sightseeing and fun. After that I will have a week to ship things home, spend time with friends, and prepare to leave this great city.

Breaking the news to Sean and my other friends here will be the worst part. I don't want to let Sean down as a roommate and a friend. I will let him keep my deposit to pay my share of the rent in May since it is already halfway through the month and I don't want to leave him high and dry. I feel bad leaving Lana, Claire, and John. John hates the city and wants nothing more than to leave but is stuck and here I came willingly and am able to leave. That has to be depressing to witness. Claire is going through so much and I feel she needs all of the support she can get. Lana has been such a good friend, getting me out and about, showing me the nightlife, offering job searching advice and trying to help me get in touch with contacts. It has been so helpful having friends around throughout this adventure, more than they will ever know.

No comments: