Sunday, April 19, 2009

Beautiful NYC Afternoon

Today was sunny and 76 degrees! I broke out the shorts and flip flops and made my way into Manhattan to do a little exploring. First, I went to the Chelsea Flea Market. A lot of junk for the most part but there were some cool things, I just decided I did not need to buy anything because that would be one more thing I would need to ship back home. I will take Adam there next weekend when he is here! Next, I made my way down to Chinatown to get a pair of sunglasses. It was hell. Tourist had overtaken the area! You couldn't move! Lana was in the East Village doing some shopping so I decided to leave the tourist behind and meet up with her, but not before being packed into the uptown 6 train like sardines with a billion tourists. I met up with her on St. Marks and we wandered around and went into a few different places. I love that area! So many different kinds of people! It looks like something out of a movie, especially on a nice, warm day! After a little shopping, we headed up to Spaha to take Otis for a walk. He was thrilled and we wandered all over Spanish Harlem with Otis leading the way. We got in touch with Adrienne and decided to do dinner. Since I was not dressed for dinner and going out after, I went all the way home to change which took over two hours. Two freaking hours just to change clothes! Have I mentioned how much I hate living so far away from everything?

Anyway, the three of us met up in East Village and after passing on a few super crowded places, we went to this place called Yaffa Cafe on St. Marks. It was awesome! The decor, the lighting, the atmosphere was so much fun! Plus, they had a really cool outdoor seating area in the back! We chose to skip the wait and be seated immediately inside as we were all starving. The food and the service was less than stellar, but it was a lot of fun catching up. After that, we went to 2x4 which was overrun by people with the worst taste in music ever. A big group was there for a girl's birthday and they played approximately 20,000 songs on the jukebox including Atlantis Morisette (not something you want to hear on a fun night out), Barbie Girl (not something you want to hear ever), and the Spice Girls (no need for explanation). None of these musical selections were very fitting for 2x4 as it is a rock bar with two stripper poles on the bar for whoever gets drunk and decides to climb up there. Finally our selections were played and it was automatically fun... or we were just that drunk. Lana's friend Jamie met up with us and we had a blast!

Eventually, Adrienne and I were ready to go and decided to split a cab back to Queens since we both live there. Our cab got hit by a minivan and I was terrified a fight between the cabbie and driver of the van would ensue, but luckily everything seemed ok. We made it to Astoria in one piece. I caught the E at Steinway St thinking I could just hop on and be home in no time. Wrong. I waited for about 30 minutes on a train. I got off at the Rego Park station about 4:45 am, grabbed some peanuts and hot & spicy plantain chips (I dont know why) and walked my 15 minute walk to the apartment where I promptly passed out in my bed as the birds outside were chirping to start their day. Ahhhh nights out in the city...

No comments: