Thursday, April 09, 2009

Rebel With A Cause

Today I was scheduled to meet this dude, Markes, to hit a little on the tennis court. I made my way to the bus stop and successfully made it to Forest Park. I waited and waited and finally he called and said, "Hey, I am here." I looked all over and didn't see him and then we realized I had gone to the wrong park. Earlier today he said we would play at Forest Park, but then texted me later and said to go to Liberty Park. I didn't catch the Liberty part in the text assuming we would be meeting between our respective neighborhoods rather than Liberty Park (far away from both of us). I told him I was sorry and he said he would come to where I was and that it would take him about 30 minutes.

About 25 minutes into the wait, this high school kid came up and asked if I wanted to hit. I told him I was waiting on someone but he said that is fine, we could hit in the meantime. He asked if I had a permit, and of course I didn't, so we snuck behind the attendant and started playing. Illegal tennis playing... the wild and crazy life of Chip Bryan... I know. The first 30 minutes of hitting I checked my phone periodically and kept an eye out for someone who looked like they may be looking for someone. No dice. After about 30 minutes I quit checking my phone and played with the high school kid for an hour or so more. He was around my skill level so it worked out good. Not very personable though.. then again he was a high school kid looking for someone to hit with. I generally keep it pretty light spirited and laid back, but he was all serious. Oh well.. it was someone to hit with.

On my walk back to the bus stop I checked my milled call and had one from Markes that was pretty angry sounding. He went on and on about how he has been waiting for 20 minutes and I haven't been answering my phone and how doesn't have all the time in the world to waste, especially since I was the one in the wrong place.... blah blah blah. I felt bad, but really, I was playing right by the only entrance and could keep tabs on everyone coming and going. Oh well, that's one less friend I will have here. I just hope he isn't at the thing on Sunday... if I go. I'm supposed to be playing in the late round (8-10 pm) and I don't know how comfortable I feel about taking the bus home through the Bronx at night. Also, my shins are killing me. I might back out and just try to go to the one in May that is close to Rego Park if I am still here then. In fact, that is probably what I will do.

No comments: