Thursday, April 02, 2009

Look At Me Being All Productive!

Today I began my trek across Manhattan to find a job. I visited 9 retail stores in attempt to at least leave a resume behind. I could have hit more but a stupid liarface at Planet Hollywood held me up. When I asked for an application she gave me one and told me to come back at 5:00 because they were doing an Hiring Open House. So I went outside and killed two hours in Times Square by filling out applications and inquiring at other businesses in the area. I return to Planet Hollywood at 4:45 so I would be early and all that jazz. I was sent to a waiting area to wait with everyone else where we were told they would come get us at 5:00. Finally around 5:30, I guess someone asked what the hold up was and they were told that the Open House was actually tomorrow at 2:00. WHAT THE FUCK?! They had 10 or so people sitting around waiting for this thing to go down, applications and resumes in hand, and they were just going to let us wait?! I was pissed! By then it was after 5:00 of course and I don't think dropping off resumes after 5:00 is very professional. I trekked it over to Grand Central and took the 5 train down to Union Square in hopes of finding Two Buck Chuck at the Trader Joe's Wine Store there. I never found the store, but I did find another Wine/Liquor store that had a Malbec on sale. I picked up two bottles and headed Uptown to Lana and Claire's place. When I arrived at 103 st I called Lana and she was walking Otis around 106th and 2nd. So I toted my bag of wine through Harlem at dusk. It was kind of scary! On the remainder of the walk we checked out this bar, The Duck, on 112th that Claire had told us about. Since we had Otis we just looked in the window and decided to go back tomorrow night. We also stumbled across this Cuban restaurant that looked really good, offered live music, and had reasonable prices. We decided to go there for dinner tomorrow followed by beers at The Duck.

After the walk we watched the Real World Season Finale and the Reunion Special. The finale sucked! I am ALWAYS a sucker for the season finale, even if I haven't kept up with the season. It is always so sad! This one was so lame! Everyone was pissed off for 90% of the episode! I wish they would have acted like adults and just enjoyed the time they had left together. Instead they were all just assholes. It was so disappointing. The reunion special was so much better! It was so happy to see Ryan was able to come back for it since he is leaving for Iraq so soon. All of the roommates were so stoked to see him AND it turns out he and Baya have a little somethin'-somethin' going on. Katelyn was being a bitch of course and they were trying to stir up all of this drama which made me mad because they haven't seen Ryan since they left Brooklyn and he is leaving so soon for Iraq. They should have just talked about positive things and maybe they did after the show. The Real World has always been a guilty pleasure of mine and I felt this season was one of my favorites. Maybe I am biased because it was in Brooklyn aired during my transition from HHI to NYC. Either way I thought it was good. I felt the people were much more 'real' than previous seasons and I liked it. I wish Ryan the best of luck in Iraq as he is bound to depart very soon, if not already. I hate that any of our soldiers have to go back, or that any of them are there at all, but hopefully things will change soon and we can get them all home safe and sound.

Oh! Express for Men called today and they want to have me in for an interview next week sometime. They called and I missed it so I returned the call and the manager said he had tried to reach me, but realized I had managerial experience, so he hung up and called his District Manager to see if there were any managerial positions open in the area for me! He said that he was looking for Sales Associates and not really managers right now but I told him that I would still love to come in and interview for an associate position since times are tough and there are not a lot of jobs available. We are going to set something up next week!

Tomorrow I have my Hollister interview at 1 and then I have to be at Planet Hollywood by 2! I hope I can make it! I am kind of stressed! I have to present a certain look for Hollister that would not be as appropriate for Planet Hollywood so I really need to change clothes between the two but a) how will I bring a change of clothes without them getting super wrinkled? b) where am I going to change? c) when will I have time to change? d) what would I wear that is presentable enough to wear to Planet Hollywood and to drop off more applications? Honestly, none of these jobs are what I set out to do here in New York. I wanted to get out of retail! But times are tough and I have to make the most of the experience I do have. At this point I will take a part time retail job. It will at least be some money coming in and allow me to continue to search for a more ideal job.

Ugh, it is after midnight and I still have so much to do tonight!!! How did I go from having nothing at all to do yesterday to being overwhelmed tonight?

No comments: