Tuesday, March 10, 2009

And My First Week Begins...

Not having internet at home really sucks. I can't keep up with my posts! Here is an update from the past few days:

Monday, March 09, 2009:

Today I slept in and did a little reading before venturing out into the world. Mr. and Mrs. Yen have allowed us to borrow and read any of the hundreds of books they have in their collection. Not having TV or internet right now, I was ecstatic. They have quite the collection and a wide variety. I was browsing through and found titles such as The Iliad, The Secret Garden, Harry Potter, A Tale of Two Cities, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and so many more. I chose The Five People You Meet in Heaven after remembering hearing great things about the book and the author. Finally I packed my daypack and headed out to find the Queens Library location in Rego Park to make use of their free Wi-Fi and do some job hunting. After having no luck, I hopped on the subway and made my way into Manhattan. I decided the first item on my agenda would be to find a pea coat so I headed downtown to the Financial District to Century 21, a huge department store with huge discounts. After a struggle shopping in the crowds and chaos, I found a dark grey one that was originally $170, but they were selling for $90. I probably shouldn’t be spending money on clothes, but a) to be a New Yorker, I need to look like one and b) I forgot to pack a blazer and I needed something professional looking to wear when I drop off resumes. Overall, good investment.

The store was directly across the street from the World Trade Center site. The fences surround the work zone and you can’t really see what is going down there anymore, however, there is a large building in that area being built, but I do not think it is the Freedom Tower. I will find out though.
I hopped on another train and found my way up to 42nd Street (after an accidental stop at Penn Station where I saw my first city rat since I moved here) to visit the New York Public Library and take advantage of their free Wi-Fi. Walking from 8th Avenue to 5th Avenue, I passed Times Square, Bryant Park, and had a great view of the Chrysler Building. That’s the beauty of New York; you don’t have to go sightseeing to see the sights! I climbed about 500000 stairs before finding a room I felt I would be allowed in and took a seat. I felt totally out of place with my big red Columbia ski jacket and Century 21 bag in hand among people doing real work, but oh well. I applied for a Membership Representative at Crunch, one of the city’s leading fitness clubs. I really want it! It sounds like a good match for me as it requires both office work and work on the floor. (Hey, I am a Gemini, I get bored) I chatted with Lana and got some tips for creating my Administrative Assistant resume. There is an opening at her office and she thinks I would be eligible if I made a few revisions/exaggerations to my resume.

As dusk was starting to pour across my new city, I decided I better get the heck out of Manhattan and to my apartment in Rego Park. I am afraid of being out after dark, haha! I found out that the V train runs from Bryant Park to my neighborhood with no transfers! Score! Now I can get back to the library, or anywhere in midtown, with ease!

I am not all that convinced we have heat in our apartment or if I am just a very cold natured person. I am always cold down here, it is like a cave! I guess that is one of the sacrifices when having insanely cheap rent. I hate being really cold when I sleep so I have been sleeping in a t-shirt, hoodie, pajama pants and socks under a double folded sheet, double folded cotton blanket, and a double folded microfiber blanket. I think one more blanket and I will be fine. Honestly, I will probably get a Snuggie. It only makes sense! Plus there is a Bed, Bath, and Beyond across Queens Blvd from my subway stop. I can wear it around my freezing cold apartment and use it as just a blanket when I go to bed! Also, I need to meet up with Lana and get their space heater she said I could borrow.

Not having internet sucks. I miss communication with the outside world.


Sunday, March 8, 2009:

Today, after leaving Lana and Claire’s apartment, I decided to venture down to Times Square in Midtown to the tourist information office and pick up a couple city and subway maps. After hopping on the 6 train on 103rd street, I learned my first New York weekend lesson… always keep gum on hand. I had not packed a toothbrush for my overnight stay, or a change of clothes for that matter. My mouth tasted disgusting and I am sure my breath reeked.

I made my way down to Times Square and smiled as I turned the corner and came face to face with the lights of the billboards and flashy signs, the sea of tourist taking pictures of this New York landmark, and the taxi congestion of Broadway. It was electrifying… and terrifying. I have heard that Times Square was notorious for pickpockets due to the high population of tourist. I pulled out my camera for a quick picture, feeling safe enough to look like a tourist, haha. I also captured a picture of a sketchy Elmo, Winnie the Pooh, and Tin Man. Their costumes were worn and dirty and instead of reaching out their hands to hug children (which is scary in itself) they held out black bags with the word, “TIPS”, written on it. So much for being lovable and carefree. Even storybook characters are feeling the impacts of the economy. I couldn’t help myself for thinking what if my livelihood here in New York comes down to purchasing a Big Bird costume and parading down Times Square taking pictures with tourists for tips. If it comes down to that, I am moving back to Hilton Head.


On my journey, away from the tourist, I realized what made me look different from all the other New Yorkers strolling down the street. Color. New Yorkers seem to be scared of color and I don’t know why. Is it somehow safer to wear dark colors to not stand out as a target to a mugger? Is it to hide the dirtiness of the city? To distinguish oneself as a local rather than a tourist? Whatever it is, I need to invest in this urban camouflage as soon as possible. There has to be a method behind the madness. The first, most important items: pea coat (warm and professional) and messenger bag (essential and much needed after I have hit who knows how many people on the street and in the subway with my backpack). I will work on obtaining these items tomorrow.

In less than 48 hours, I feel like I have already crossed paths with 1 of the 8 million people in New York. It is very much a culture shock to be in the middle of such a diverse population. It is entirely possibly to hear over 5 languages in the span of a couple blocks and encounter numerous more ethnicities in the same space. Back in North Carolina, there were basically four ethnicities, Caucasian, Black, Hispanic, and the rarest, Asian. That’s it. In college, I did not feel like there were many more. In Hilton Head I met more people from Latin and South America, and even had a friend from Africa. I thought that was a big deal. That was nothing! I think it is funny that with my complexion, some people may not even know what ethnicity I am. When I think of it like that, I feel much more comfortable. Not that I am prejudice, but I should feel uneasy when passing a group of people from a different culture than my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd be terrified to live in NY. Not gonna lie.