Saturday, March 07, 2009

New York: Day One

Last night, I made it into Penn Station fine, Lana and John met me and helped me get to a cab. Walking out of Penn Station into Manhattan streets with the hustle and bustle and lights and noise was quite an experience, kind of overwhelming. The cabbie was nice and it was only $23 to get to my apartment from the Chelsea area. Luckily, Mr. and Mrs. Yen were home and they graciously let me in the apartment and were extremely nice. It was awkward, but good. I unpacked and fell asleep.

Today started with my apartment adventure of the day: Showering. Let me explain.

The shower is in its own room, off from the kitchen. You enter and there is like a foot and a half space with a bathmat. Beyond that is a 3x3 ft shower stall. It was kind of difficult because the linolim floor was cold so I needed slippers in the shower room, but there was barely any room and I didn't want them to get wet.

After getting dressed I decided to make my way into the city. I got so lost. I somehow ended up on Austin St. in Forest Hills (the neighborhood past Rego Park) after walking in a circle past my apartment. I ducked into a Starbucks and pulled out my laptop. A $4 internet fee later, I found out the Forest Hill subway station was two blocks from where I was sitting. I took this pic walking down Austin Street during my first NYC adventure.

I was trying to be discreet with my camera phone, but I think the man on the left totally noticed. Had I waited 20 more seconds, I could have captured bag-head lady. My first NYC Crazy. She had apparantly been shopping and stored her belongings in a plastic bag, placed on top of her head while she danced and sang while strolling the streets of Queens. It was awesome.

I discovered that I need to make sure to bring reading material on the subway, it makes for really awkward situations. You sit there not knowing where to look, not wanting to just read the advertisements like a tourist, or stare at anyone.

After arriving in NYC I decided to walk to Grand Central to find a place to eat in Grand Central and grab a couple maps so I dont wind up walking in circles. I found food, but no maps. I walked around some on Lex and 3rd Ave in the East 40s and explored until I met up with Lana and Claire in the Upper East Side. We walked back to their apartment in Spaha and relaxed a little. Lana took a nap while Claire and I went on a short walk exploring Spanish Harlem.

This was me being touristy and taking pictures of the Main Concourse of Grand Central Terminal.

We are going to dinner at Itzocan Bistro (one of my favorite places in New York) and then going out and partying afterwards. I can't wait! I am kind of unsure about getting back to my apartment tonight, I can always take a cab though. I just don't think the subway would be a good idea late at night, not knowing exactly how to get back to my apartment from the Rego Park Station. I know I don't need to spend the money, but its my first weekend in New York!

No comments: