Thursday, March 12, 2009

Catching up!

TODAY!

Yesterday, at my first Crunch stop while delivering resumes, I spoke with the Membership Director and he asked me to email a copy of my resume, so I did! He said I could use him as a reference! Woohoo! We will see! Ahh! The library is closing! Gotta run!

I finished this post at home last night... in order to let you know the library is closing, they turn off the lights promptly at 5:45 and tell you to leave. Ahh New York.

Today is Brandon’s birthday! Happy Birthday Brandon! He is serving our country flying helicopters in Afghanistan. I wish him the best of luck and wish he could be in the states celebrating with his friends and family.

Favorite parts of living in New York:
The diversity and a place for everyone
Never knowing what you will stumble across
Landmarks around every corner

Least favorite parts of living in New York:
It is cold, lack of heat in the apartment
Not having money to eat all of the delicious food the city has to offer
One mile walk to the subway

Things I miss about Hilton Head:
A good, secure job
Warm weather
The people

Things I don’t miss about Hilton Head:
Dealing with tourist every day
Lack of things to do
Bicyclist in Sea Pines

I have applied to what feels like two hundred jobs. I hate being impatient. I know there are other applicants and that it takes employers time to weed through applicants. I was working on a budget for myself today. Basically for the remainder of March I will be sticking to a $100/week (approx $14.25/day) budget. In April, unless I receive my tax refund check, I will be privileged to $125/week. I am really hoping there weren’t any expenses I forgot to factor in and I hope no additional expenses arise. In Hilton Head I almost always made enough money to get by and have fun. Not having a job decreases those discretionary funds by A LOT. There is so much to see and do and experience here, not having a steady income (or income at all for that matter) makes the city one big tease. There is a lot to see here and with my unlimited subway pass I can get pretty much anywhere and I am sure there is a lot of free things to do but without having the internet at home yet and living away from all of the action, it is hard to find out about such activities. For now I just have to be optimistic that something pulls through.

Sean and I watched Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil tonight and it made me miss Savannah so much! The squares, the pride, the architecture, the people, the history, the fun, the culture, I could go on and on.

This whole living inside an icebox deal is getting really old, really fast. Its like camping minus the nature. I hate to be so negative now that I am finally living in the city I have always dreamed of living in, but this is ridiculous.
Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Applied for more jobs online at the NYPL. Met Lana during her lunch break and messed around the city for a bit. Then I began my crazy adventure to deliver resumes to three Crunch locations spread out across the city. I started on 59th and 2nd, headed down to 32nd and 2nd, then over to 38th and Broadway. 2.5 miles of power walking through the streets of Manhattan, after walking around with Lana, and before walking up to Times Square then over to Grand Central. Exhausting!

Sean and I met my uncle and one of his work colleagues at Lombardi's in Little Italy for dinner. It was delicious! We had a clam pizza that I really did not expect to like, but it was delicious!

After dinner, Sean and I explored the East Village, Lower East Side, then decided to go out to Brooklyn. We walked around forever looking for this bar Sean had been to with no avail. We finally made it back home after taking the L to the Q to the E (Sounds like rap lyrics). My feet hurt sooo bad.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009:

Today, I decided to figure out how much time it takes me to get from my apartment to Bryant Park. 55 minutes. It is only like 7 miles! Granted 15 minutes of that is walking, it still seems ridiculous, but I guess it isn’t THAT bad. Lana said it takes her 30 minutes from her apartment in Spaha to get to Midtown.

I made it to NYPL and found a spot on the first floor this time (thank god… those stairs are awful!). Unfortunately, there was nowhere to plug my laptop in to keep it charged so I only had a limited amount of online time. I applied to several administrative assistant jobs and caught up on my facebooking and blogging. When my computer battery died I set off on my quest to find a messenger bag. I hit up H&M, Macys, and Old Navy. H&M didn’t have shit, I visited all 10 stories of Macy’s and didn’t find anything, and found one that would do in Old Navy. The problem is I want a separate compartment for my laptop and this one only offered one compartment. I saw a man on the subway with one from Eddie Bauer, so I may go check them out. On the way home, I swung by the mall thing across 63rd that is home to a Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Circuit City, Old Navy, Marshalls, and something else. I ran in Old Navy to check and see if they had the messenger bag I saw earlier in Manhattan, but they didn’t. Then I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and picked up a loofa, toothbrush holder, lint roller, deodorant, and…. A SNUGGIE! I am actually wearing my Snuggie right now as I type. It is royal blue as that was the only color option they had AND it came with the free book light! I was planning on buying another blanket for my bed, but this is cheaper and multifunctional! There is also word out about an upcoming NYC Snuggie bar crawl! I can’t think of anything better than a shit ton of drunk people wandering the streets of NYC in their Snuggies. Count me in!

I arrived home and Sean and I set up an appointment to get our internet installed next Tuesday, woohoo!!! I can’t wait!

I also picked up a bottle of Brownstone Merlot. A funny thing about New York. You can only buy wine at liquor stores! Bizarre, I know! You can buy beer at any convenience store or market, but not wine. According to Sean, that law is supposedly in the mix to get changed so it that wine can be sold at convenience and grocery stores. Speaking of Sean, he just popped his head in to see if I needed anything from the grocery store and saw my Snuggie, he says I look like a monk. I agree. This thing is so warm though! The commercials don’t do it justice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree that Eddie Bauer has a few great messenger bag options, but I think some of the best messenger bags are made by Chrome. They are a little pricy, but worth the investment. Check them out! www.chromebagsstore.com