Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Interview #1 & St Pattys

First Interview.
Macys.
Awful.

Long story short... waited in this room with about 10 other applicants, interviewed in another room with five or so desks where others were conducting interviews, $8/hr with full time hours not guaranteed, invited for second interview but fled the scene.

It was so weird sitting in the waiting room with others, who like myself, must be on the verge of being desperate for a job. You would not believe how many people didn't even bring a resume with them. In that respect, I feel I am ahead in the job hunt. What was really awkward was going back to the waiting room after my first interview and having only two other people in there. I knew I did not want the job but I was going back and forth as to whether or not I should take it until something better came along or to reject it and hope for something else soon. When I compared my pay at Salty Dog to the pay Macys was offering, I quickly made up my mind. Not wanting to be rude, I sat there for a while waiting for my name to be called for a second interview, where I would politely thank them for their time and be on my way. After a while I decided just to get up and make a run for it. I will probably never get a job with Macys in the future and I am fine with that.

Sean and I made our way into the city to drink a couple beers in celebration of St. Patrick's Day. The plan was to meet up with John at Banshee Pub on the Upper East Side. We got there, hung out for a while, no John so we left ($7 for a bud light-- yes.. it is Manhattan, but really.. on St. Patrick's Day?!). We made our way down to the East Village to this bar, Grassroots, that Maggie's friend, Kat, told me about. It was a dive, but they had really cheap beer, SC prices! Sean met some guys who were heading to Ace Bar in Alphabet City to throw darts and we decided we would meet up with them in a little bit. We left Grassroots in search of Ace Bar when we stumbled upon a group of friendly Brits hanging out outside this bar, Sidewalk. We asked for directions and while they didn't have a clue where we were trying to get to, they did invite us in for a green beer.

And then it began. They were a group of childhood friends on vacation and living it up in NYC. Nicest people in the world. They didn't realize North and South Carolina were two different states. After way too many green beers, we headed down the street to The Library where their other friends had ventured off to. You guessed it... more beer. It was kind of a dive, but a lot of fun. I found that the key to drinking in NYC is to stay in the East Village. Cheap brews, good people, and great fun. Finally, a little after 4 am, the bar closed and we decided to call it a night while our new friends were out to find a 24 hour bar. It was a great St. Patty's Day in NYC.. that is for sure.

No comments: