Monday, March 16, 2009

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!

Ok, don't get too excited... it is just for a Sales Associate position at Macy's in Herald Square. Shitty job and it is far from my apartment... but at least it is with a company that will allow me to grow from within. The problem is I am well over qualified for it and there is another position available that would better suit my experience. I don't know if it is a big interview fauxpaux to ask about another position during the interview, but I am going to anyway. Hell, they know from my 200+ question survey that I am looking for advancement within the company if hired. If not, I may have to sell prints in Battery Park which is sounding better and better... I could set my own hours and make cash. The only problem is I don't know how to get them printed and matted efficiently... or the legality of selling shit on the street. I think tourist would like my stuff though. I will post them as soon as I can figure out how to put a watermark on them... there are too many people who will steal pictures and make profit on them.

Here is an update on the past few days:

Sunday, March 15, 2009

No snow! Woohoo! Earlier in the week they had been reporting a chance of snow today, but luckily, that didn’t happen. It was actually not too bad out. I went grocery shopping and purchased another load of bread, top ramen (with an exciting new flavor, Roasted Chicken), tea bags and sugar (I miss sweet tea), and to spice things up, spaghetti noodles and sauce!
After shopping I headed into the city to hang out at Lana, Claire, and John’s apartment. We watched Rock of Love Bus and I really think Lana should be cast on the next season. Her love for rocker guys, especially Brett Michaels, in unmatched by many. However, if it was Axl’s love at stake, none of those other girls would stand a chance, Lana would make sure of it. Haha. I finished my questionnaire to be a sales associate at Macy’s (shoot me) and then we took Otis for a walk around Central Park. I can’t wait to see Central Park in the Spring, especially the conservatory on the North end of the park.

Kat, a friend of Sean’s (daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Yen), was in town for the night en route to Atlantic City for Spring Break with her friend John. We hung out in our un-heated “living room”/storage room and shot the shit over a couple beers. We caught up and reminisced over good times in Hilton Head last summer.


Saturday, March 14, 2009

Always looking to see something new, I headed down to South Seaport this afternoon in downtown Manhattan. As I emerged from the underground, I realized I was right in front of the pedestrian walkway across the Brooklyn Bridge. I decided to seize the opportunity and take a walk across, well, halfway across anyway. It was really cold and windy, but the views of Brooklyn, downtown Manhattan, the East River, Midtown, and even the Statue of Liberty were great! Somehow I had not really thought about seeing the Statue of Liberty even though it is one of the most well known landmarks in the city! Weird. Off in the New York harbor, there she stood, welcoming ships into the city. The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the United States and another famous New York City landmark. The bridge was a primary route of evacuation for thousands and thousands of New Yorkers on September 11th due to its close proximity to the Financial District. In fact, a tourist couple stopped me, asking for directions to Ground Zero. I pointed West and told them, “Over there somewhere”. My directions suck.

I headed back off the bridge and down to South Seaport. I have always heard of this area, but had never visited. It was really cool! There were lots and lots of people celebrating St. Patty’s Day by wearing green, sporting shamrock paraphernalia, and drinking beer. Cheap beer! $3/draft! SC prices! It looked like a lot of fun! There was also an outdoor ice skating rink! Lots of shops and restaurants, and a good view of the Brooklyn Bridge. There were even some unique ships docked that looked like pirate ships and looked really out of place with skyscrapers in the background. After a while, I started getting hungry and the food was smelling better and better so I headed back to the subway and made my way home for yet another peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a couple leftover raviolis, and some chips in my freezing cold apartment. Blah.

I had planned to meet up with Kat, one of Maggie’s good friends that lives in Brooklyn, but she and her roommate apparently got trashed last night and were taking it easy tonight. I can’t wait to get a job and eat real food again. I’ve gone through an entire loaf of bread’s worth of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Anne gave me a gift card for Papa John’s before I left and there is apparently one near me, but I am saving that until I REALLY can’t eat another sandwich… in the not so distant future.


Friday Night Flying Solo

I decided to go check out this bar in Greenwich Village that I visited when I was in NYC in 2007 (infamous night of the $200+ bar tab). I was super nervous about finding my way there, which turned into me walking in circles forever before FINALLY someone pointed me in the right direction, but I did see the Empire State Building from Manhattan for the first time since moving here (I had only seen it from the train on my way into the city and from Brooklyn the other night). It was Friday night and this place was hoppin’! The entertainment was hilarious and kind of creepy but the people and the bartenders were nice. After staying for three Coronas (@ $6 a pop I exceeded my budget by $7 after tip) I decided to begin my journey home. I called Liz in NC and got her to Hopstop directions home. The directions the website provided said take the F train (which I couldn’t find to save my life, but finally asked for directions). I found it and hopped on. After examining the map on the car, I realized the F doesn’t run to Rego Park but that the R did and that I could catch that on 57th and Lex. I got off at 63rd and Lex and walked the few blocks down. I got to the station and the sign said late night, take the E. By this point I was tired, confused, and kind of scared, so I made my way back up to street level and hopped in a cab to play it safe, thus increasing my credit card balance.

No comments: