Saturday, March 28, 2009

The speed limit in NYC was 8 mph in 1895.

That was the fun fact on my Snapple lid this evening on my grueling commute back to my apartment after a wild night out on the town last night.

I met up with Lana at her apartment and we took a cab over to the Upper West Side which involved going through Central Park! That's another awesome thing about New York, you never know when you're going to wind up somewhere really cool, if only for a minute. We met up with Claire and her friend, Ehryn, at the Amsterdam Ale House for a drink before heading to their other friend, Chuckie's party a few blocks away. We made our way to the party and after a little bit of sober/awkward time passed, drinks were being poured and we met some really cool people. It was by no means a huge party, but a lot of fun! There were two models there that each stood about a foot taller than myself. When you're a girl and you are that tall, I guess modeling or basketball are the only things that make sense.

Around 2:15 am, we decided to leave so Lana could meet up with her friend Nikkah downtown. Claire, Lana, Lana's friend Corinne, and myself piled in a cab and headed to 2 by 4 in the East Village. Claire chose to do the smart thing to do and go on home, while the three of us weren't going to let the fact that it was nearing 3 am slow us down. We met up with Nikkah and found that the bar was dead so we headed to Fish Bar a few blocks down. We were there until almost 5 am. New York really never sleeps. By the time we left, we had definitely had our fill of booze and went to crash at Nikkah's place with it being closest. We arrived at this nice doorman building on the Upper East Side and took the elevator to his 29th floor sweet apartment. It had a huge balcony with an awesome view of the city! There is no telling how much he pays in rent. I am sure it is absurd and worth every penny as you can see...


Around 10 am Lana woke me up from my peaceful drunken slumber and we headed back up to her apartment in Spaha. The walk to the subway was the walk from hell. I guarantee we were both still drunk, reeking of alcohol, and feeling like shit. It was miserable. We finally made it to the subway... finally... and that began phase two of our journey. The rocking motion combined with the clanking noises on the subway are very unpleasant when you are hungover. FINALLY we made it up to 103rd street and I crashed as soon as we went inside and slept for a good 3 or 4 more hours.

Lana, Claire, and myself continued to sit around in the living room being miserable and hungover until around 7:45 when I decided I finally had the strength to go home. I popped in a Hot and Crusty for a ham and cheese quiche because I was absolutely starving after only eating a grilled cheese sandwich all day. Then the headache began. It was horrible, almost to the point of making me nauseous. I also developed a strong craving for bacon and eggs. After I got off the subway I made a b line for the grocery store WHICH WAS CLOSED! AT 9 PM ON A SATURDAY! So no bacon for me. I do not understand how in the city that never sleeps, the fucking grocery store closes at 9. That's earlier than in Pittsboro! It was so sad. Instead I made hard boiled eggs and smashed them down with a Kiwi Strawberry Snapple. After my shower preceded by two Advil, my headache was gone! It was magical.

On another happy note, I discovered that there is a Bojangles in Brooklyn! I immediately checked out directions which pointed out that it would take over an hour to get to via subway and/or bus but only 15 minutes or so via car. I am not above taking a cab to Brooklyn for Bojangles. It may have to happen. I miss Bojangles so much.

No comments: